Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Our Beach Date

While we were in Florida, the Hills were nice to babysit our Jake and Kate so that Stan and I could go on a hot date. When I go to the beach, I love to eat at open air seafood places where you can look out on the beach. We drove around and found a small restaurant at a marina. We had a great corner table so there were beautiful views on two sides of us. It was shady with a nice breeze. It was the perfect place. Here we are at the restaurant, and a picture of the nice view we had from our table. Check out the pelican hanging out on the post.

While we were waiting for our food, I noticed some guy (who looked like his name should be Bubba) shucking oysters to make raw oyster plates. I told Stan that I was going to go watch and learn how to shuck oysters. I was talking to Bubba and he learned that I had never had oysters before. He was very generous and told me that he would give me one to try. I was somewhat hesitant because a raw oyster seems somewhat less than appetizing. However, I was feeling a bit adventurous and took him up on his offer. It took me 2 tries, but I was able to suck the raw oyster out of its shell and eat the slimy little thing. Not the best tasting thing ever, but I would do it again. This is a picture of my new pal.

After our meal, I told Stan that I was going to give our new friend a few bucks and see if he could slip me another oyster for Stan to try, since Stan also had never tried oysters before. So, I hooked Stan up and he gave it a try. I think he was more grossed out by the salt water than the actual oyster. I love the face he is making. After our exciting meal, we found a really cool beach. It had tons of seaweed on the beach, but it was pretty deserted and there were a ton of cool shells and a bunch with little hermit crabs in them. Here is Stan searching for shells.This a cool shell that we found. The big shell was empty, but the smaller shell had some kind of animal in it that had a strong hold on the larger shell.A quick shot of us at the beach.There were these cute shops right near our condo, so after our beach stroll we came here and grabbed some ice cream. It was a great date. Thanks for watchng the kiddos, Wendy.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Cute pics! Thanks for having the great idea of a date swap! I still can't believe you guys willingly ate oysters.

The Schaefer's said...

The face that Stan is making sums up my feelings about oysters perfectly :c). Where in Florida did you guys go? If you ever make it down to Cocoa Beach, there is a great open-air restaurant called the Sunset Grill.