Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Medicine Made Fun

Jake has been sick with a cold for a little over a week. I try to wait out colds and see if they will clear up on their own, but his cough just kept getting worse and really flared up Saturday night at Tricia's reception. Then last night he was just miserable and had a hard time sleeping. Resigning to the fact that the vaporizer in his room was not doing the trick I hauled both kids to the Dr. this morning. Kate also has a cold and cough, but not quite as bad as Jake's. The Dr. prescribed anit-biotics for both, and in addition put Jake on steroids and a breathing treatment. I did not have any hope that Jake would sit still for a breathing treatment 3 times a day, as he barely cooperates when the Dr. tries to check his lungs and ears. But miraculously, look how good he is with wearing the mask.
He does such a good job. But, here is the reason why. His nebulizer is a penguin. He loves "Mr. Penguin" and gets excited to do his breathing treatments. He loves that his penguin blows out "special air" for him to breathe. He even comes in his very own igloo carrying case.
When we went to Target to fill all the prescriptions, Jake demanded that we take in his penguin. He ended up carrying it all around the store and holding it when he rode in the cart. I appreciate whoever was brilliant enough to make this process a little more kid friendly. It is not fun having sick kids, but at least this makes it a little easier. Jake loves his nebulizer and has fun wearing the mask. I never would have thought. I am glad that it is fun and not a fight.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

A penguin nebulizer!?! Why didn't I think of that?! I coulda been rich. We had to use one on Benjamin last year and he DID NOT like it. Glad you're able to get your kids on meds and a blessing--they'll be perking up soon! And it's a good day for you to get out of the house for a bit.

Jenkinson Family said...

Where did you get the Penguin? We have this bottle like contraption for Kate and she hates it. We don't have to use it often but I don't think she ever inhales the medicine.

Kat Rose said...

So sad!! Poor Jake!

Johnson said...

It is just the one that the Dr. gave me. I go to Peachtree Pediatrics right off Stevens Entry. I think Jake would wear it all day if he could. I think just having it today has helped his cold a ton. I just went to check on him while he is asleep to see how his breathing is and he sounds perectly clear.

Hansen's blog said...

We have that very same version of the penguin nebulizer. I must admit that it is cute. Didn't excite Nathan much at 5 months of age when he had to use it. Glad it is helping Jake to feel better. I'm about to take Nathan in to the doctor for a cold that has lingered as well. . . why is everyone getting so sick?! Could it be that it is 16 degrees one day and 60 the next?

Danielle said...

They have come a long way - we didn't have cute penguin nebulizers when Emma was going through all her asthma as a toddler! She just pretended she was smoking a pipe! Whatever works! Hopefully your kids are on the mend now! Sick kids can be exhausting!

The Schaefer's said...

You know it HAD to be a mom that invented that. I hope the kids get to feeling better.