I saw this cake on
Bakerella and something inside me really wanted to try to make this. I wanted a challenge. I have never attempted anything like this before. Her cake was 14 layers, but she used a recipe that was originally for 12 layer. I opted to be a little safer and stick with 12....but really...that is still 12 layers! Yikes!
Here am I....the baker with my Williams-Sonoma apron..ready to go. (Because I would really hate to get my free Mellow Mushroom shirt dirty. I guess it makes me feel more official.)

My 12 pans, sprayed and ready for the batter.

The huge amount of batter. The batter alone called for 3 sticks of butter.

The layers are baked.

Here is the glaze. Another 2 sticks of butter.

The 12 layers stacked and oozing with chocolate glaze...and ready for more.

This is it after I have poured the glaze on. using the rack with the pan allowed me to gather excess glaze to add to the cake.

I let the glaze set for an hour (and watched CSI NY in the meantime). After it was set, I whipped up the dark chocolate buttercream frosting and added it to the cake. This icing made the cake so much better. Oh, and you need yet another stick of butter...not to mention an entire block (8 ozs.) of cream cheese. Keeping track? Yes, that is 6 sticks of butter in all. Holy Moly!

Here is the first piece of cake, eaten at Stan's parents' house on Sunday after stake conference.

A look inside the cake.

I ended up eating a little less than 1 piece of this cake. It was very dense and moist. This was a good challenge and it was fun to put together. However, I would probably find another recipe for the actual cake. I was not so hot on it. The glaze and icing were incredible. All together I would give it a 6 out of 10, but only because of the actual cake. I would maybe use a cake mix recipe next time.
6 comments:
Yum! This looks awesome. I saw the Bakerella post about it a few weeks ago and thought it looked good. Good job!
I saw this on Bakerella, too, and also want to make it. My birthday cake tradition for my kids when they were little was to make a rainbow cake. Jenna's 5th birthday is coming up, so I'll try making this cake with layers of different colors. If I do, I'll take pictures and post them on my blog. Great idea! Your cake looks awesome and awesomely delicious!
Impressive Laura, how long did that take you?
I saw that on bakerella and was drooling over it. Way to go on making one yourself. Looks yummy!
I saw that cake too and wanted to try it. I haven't had the time or occasion to try it. So, I'm glad you did it for me :c)
I just gained 5 pounds reading your posts about baking.
Post a Comment