Monday, November 22, 2010

Primary

I am in the primary presidency in my little Spanish branch, but because the ward is so small, not all the callings are filled, so I also teach this class every week. They are so cute!

We had some visitors yesterday, so this is the largest my class has been (I usually have around 10-12). So, not many people may care too much about my little class, but I could seriously just take them all home with me.

Ok, since I am on the subject of the branch....I will tell you about our first ward social. This past Friday was the branch Thanksgiving dinner. I made a turkey, gravy, sweet potato casserole, a cheesecake, and brought drinks. I was in the kitchen a lot that day. The social is scheduled to start at 6:00. Being the punctual people that we are, we get there on time, and only the missionaries are there. We go into the gym and it is dark and empty. I guess we are the set-up crew! About half an hour later, people start to show up and we finally get to start around 6:45. This type of thing is perfectly normal in this branch. Everyone is late. Everyone brings a ton of food. They all stay late and talk forever. We had to leave early since my kids were melting and needed to go to bed. So being that we tend to be on time and leave early, I am sure people are going to think that we are weird. I am going to have a hard time adjusting to the laid back way this ward functions. I love punctual people. I think it is a sign of respect to be on time. Years ago, Stan and I even had categorized our friend's and family as to whether they were in our "punctuality club." I am just trying to illustrate here that this is something that I have always appreciated. The primary president in our branch is also someone who values this and is quite the type "AAAA" personality, so I pretty much love her. She told me that one year, when she was new to the branch, that they were having a New Year's Eve party, scheduled to start at 7:00. She was rushing to get there on time and frustrated that she was running a few minutes late. She gets to the church and no one is there. She sat with her husband (who is a a non-member) and waited, and waited. People started showing up at 10:00!! So, I am going to have to get over this side of me that wants everything to go like clockwork. I am sure they aren't going to change for me. But they are all very warm and welcoming. I love the people.....just not the lifestyle.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm definitely not in your punctual fan club, am I? Even so, that would drive me crazy to have branch events starting late all the time.

Those are some cute kids! I love Jake--he is always happy in any photo. Except t-ball.