Friday, June 24, 2011

Farm Envy

I would post this on my recipe blog, but I'll let my sister, Tricia, add it since she is the one who told me how to do this. See Tricia lives in nowhere Oregon surrounded by farm land. Her and her husband live in a house for free (seriously) and pay no utilities(seriously!), they have 3 pigs, 1/4 of a cow, never have to buy potatoes or onions, fill their gas tanks from the farm, and they are renting land to farm corn. I love to hear about her life! This is my sister who, I always thought, would end up living in a sky-rise apartment in some downtown area of some big city, where she could keep up with a fast paced life. Well, now she teaches math at a community college and drives a tractor from time to time. - Ok, but to get down to the real reason for this post....Tricia was telling me how they cut and froze some several hundred ears of corn and that it was soooo good. I had an "I want to live on a farm" tinge of jealousy, but then I realized that I can still get corn. So, I ordered 2 cases from a produce co-op that I help with. I had 102 ears of corn.

Stan helped me with this arduous task.

You boil the corn for 3 minutes then put it in cold water to keep it from cooking anymore. (A process known as blanching.)

Then you cut it off.

And bag it and freeze it.

I have 29 bags filled with corn.

This actually went a lot faster than I thought it would. Having an extra set of hands around really helped. Once the corn is shucked, the blanching and cutting goes pretty quickly. - There is a great sense of industry in tasks like this. I love it! I am so excited to have this all stocked in my freezer to make creamed corn with this winter!

2 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

We did the same thing in our family when I was a kid. It must be an Oregon thing. :)

Anonymous said...

you make it look so easy. It was a nightmare when I did it.. but we did over 100 bags. not all for me.

I love your blog laura. You inspire me to get off FB and get on with my life!